Date: 3rd November 2015 at 6:58am
Written by:

Rangers’ Scottish Championship season continued with a defeat at Easter Road against Hibernian on Sunday.

The taste of defeat isn’t something Rangers have had to deal with this season; the only defeat prior to the setback at Hibernian was of course a cup-tie when St Johnstone beat the Gers with every other league and cup match won….

A 100% Championship record isn’t going to happen for Rangers, at least we can put that to bed with Hanlon’s goal winning it two-one for Hibernian on Sunday after McGregor had deflected a Wallace effort into his own net to cancel out the Hibs opener from Cummings.

Hibernian Highlights – Click Here.

The game started at breakneck speed with this matching the atmosphere with both sides setting out their stall early on, this was one they both wanted to win with Holt going down under a challenge from Stevenson early on that Beaton could have easily given a penalty for but the referee turned away the appeals.

It certainly looked a penalty!

McGinn could, and should, have done better for Hibernian as a chance went begging before Cummings (11) showed him how it’s done when he curled home a fine effort to put Hibs ahead. Wilson looked to win a ball; he probably didn’t need to, with this seeing the Hibees striker turn him before firing home past Foderingham.

Rangers threatened an equaliser with Oxley making a save to keep out Tavernier as the defender got forward and lashed an effort at goal with Bartley setting up Malonga as Hibernian looked for a second but his effort was curled over.

Last season’s Rangers Player of the Year, but deemed surplus to requirement by Warburton, McGregor (47) got himself of the scoresheet but not in the way he would have wanted as he deflected a Wallace shot past Oxley, who had no chance, early in the second half to get the Gers level.

This goal spurred Rangers on and it seemed likely a comeback would be complete with a winning goal.

Oxley pulled off a fine save to keep out Waghorn with the rebound falling to Wallace who had another effort that deflected of McGregor but this time it helped it onto the crossbar and prevented it, probably, ending up in the back of the net.

Cummings threatened to restore the Hibernian lead when he took on a McGinn pass to get away from Kiernan but he couldn’t beat Foderingham this time with the Rangers ‘keeper making a save.

Warburton turned to Oduwa with the Spurs loanee making an instant impact, nearly! His effort from the edge of the area looked destined for the back of the net before crashing back off the post with the score remaining one-all

McGinn’s freekick needed dealing with by Foderingham, who turned this over for a corner but from this his hesitancy and that of the Rangers defenders around him allowed Hanlon (73) in to head, at that point in time against the run of play, a winner for Hibernian.

The defeat not only, of course, ended the 100% league record it also saw the Rangers lead at the top cut from eight-points to five with Hibernian also extending their own unbeaten run to 11-matches, so Hibs will feel they can track the Gers down!