Date: 28th August 2010 at 2:14pm
Written by:

A dour first-half between Hibernian and Rangers erupted into life i the dying minutes of the half after Allan McGregor clashed with Derek Riordan. The two players who give you the impression that if they bumped into each other in a nightclub they would end up fighting as well, came together as Riordan went in for the ball.

Allan McGregor went down like a ton of bricks after Riordan had squared up to him and TV evidence showed there was no contact. McGregor had obviously been taking lessons from Mr Lafferty. And on the subject of Mr Lafferty, the big man was himself sent off as tempers flared towards the end of the 45 minutes.

Lafferty went in late on a challenge on a Hibernian player, then Kevin McBride decided to kick the ball at Lafferty while he was still on the deck. Something which Lafferty didn’t take to kindly to and when he got back up he went for the Hibs player and the fuming forward had to be held back by his own players and the referee. The outcome was a red card each for Lafferty and McBride.

Anyway, on to the football, as I said, there was nothing of any note in the first half, it really was a dull game. I think the players decided to kick-off because they wanted to liven things up. Walter Smith went with McGregor in goals with a settled looking back four of Papac, Bougherra, Weir and Whittaker. In midfield you had Lafferty, Edu, Davis and Naismith, with Miller and Beattie up front again.

After a goal-less first half, Kenny Miller gave Rangers the lead against the club he started his career with. After a shot from Sasa Papac was rebounded, James Beattie got on the end of it and brilliantly placed the ball into the path of Miller who couldn’t miss from close range.

Kenny Miller was the goalscorer again for the second goal and again he had the ball laid on a plate for him, this time by debutant Vladimir Weiss who had came on as a sub. The exciting Weiss exchanged in a lovely one-two with the classy Steven Davis on the left hand side of the penalty box before sliding the ball through to Miller who again just could not miss.

After being set up well for the first two goals, Miller had a lot of work to do for the goal which sealed his hat-trick. He was set up by a long pass from Davis and finished superbly to make it 3-0 deep into injury time.

So two games under our belts and the 100% record still intact. The only down points were the disappointing reactions from McGregor, and Lafferty’s stupid red card proving that the boy still has a lot of growing up to do. But overall a great result.


Your Comment