Date: 19th October 2010 at 7:26pm
Written by:

It was good to get back to SPL football after the international break. I love watching my country but watching Rangers for me is even better.

Walter Smith had to do without number one Allan McGregor after the goalkeeper picked up an unfair suspension. So it was a rare appearance in goals for Neil Alexander, although it is good to see him getting a game, he is a safe pair of hands.

It was a familiar looking back four of Papac, Bougherra, Weir and Whittaker. In actual fact the whole line-up had a familiar look as Walter Smith was down to the bare bones of his squad. So it was Weiss, Edu, Davis and Naismith in midfield with Lafferty and Miller up front.

Walter Smith had very little options from the bench with only squad players and youths to make up the numbers. On loan Ricky Foster who has only made on sub appearance, plus injury plagues Andy Webster were on the bench along with youths Adam, Wylde, Little, Loy and Hutton.

Rangers would have one eye on the midweek Champions League clash with Valencia as well as the first Old Firm game the following weekend but would have to try and put these matches to the back of their minds to continue their perfect start to the SPL season.

For the third match in a row, Rangers went behind, and Motherwell couldn’t have got their goal at a better time, right on the brink of half-time. Striker Nick Blackman’s powerful header gave them a 1-0 lead to take into the second half.

Rangers yet again staged a wonderful fightback and in actual fact were on level terms just two minutes after the restart. It was in form Stevie Naismith who grabbed the equaliser after being set up by Kyle Lafferty. It was a great way to round off his week after he scored against Spain on international duty.

Steven Davis gave Rangers the lead fifteen minutes later with a cracker hit from 18 yards into the corner of the net. Rangers were in command now and Kenny Miller continued his fine goalscoring form with a header from a Naismith cross.

The scoring was completed by Vladimir Weiss who grabbed his first goal for the club after a neat 1-2 with Kyle Lafferty. It was three goals in a five minute spell for Rangers but that was the end of the scoring. Three of the Rangers youngsters got a run out towards the end of the game as Smith rested Edu, Weiss and Miller.

So it’s eight out of eight for Rangers who are still neck in neck with Celtic who are also unbeaten. Only goal difference seperates them going into the old firm game on Sunday with Rangers one goal better off. Something has to give this week. Hopefully Rangers will triumph.


Your Comment