Date: 18th May 2015 at 12:14pm
Written by:

Rangers’ place in the Premiership play-off semi final against Hibernian was booked on Sunday, which was deserved in the end, when we came back to earn a draw against Queen of the South to go through on aggregate.

At half time it was a little uncomfortable with us behind, maybe undeservedly, but cometh the hour cometh the man and all that with a one-one draw at Ibrox enough for us to advance three-two on aggregate.

We began with a confidence that seemed to suggest we believed we could advance in this ΒΌ final tie but there’s always a doubt about our defence with Zaliukas doing enough to clear away some early danger with panic threatening to set in.

Vuckic, once again influential for us, operated in a free role that suited and a combination move with Wallace saw his ball into the area but Clark wasn’t able to hit the target at the end of that move.

That defensive frailty was exposed when Carmichael crossed into a dangerous area and Lyle (35) was able to get in ahead of everyone else to head past Bell from six-yards to give QoS the lead that was taken into half time. Maybe somewhat harshly on this occasion, as we so often perhaps deservedly so this season, we left the field at half time to the familiar sounds of boos….

McCall, who might be taking charge of his last couple to a few Rangers games, rallied the troops at the break and a positive start to the second half saw QoS ‘keeper Clark pull off a fine save to keep out Miller’s header.

Although McCall, who had previously urged for the home fans to ‘calm down’ as the frustration grew from the stands at our inability to draw level, showed his own disappointment and anger when only Reilly’s control failed him as he looked to breakthrough on goal with a second on for the visitors.

This was a most costly error as it was shortly after this let off that we got back on level terms with Clark knocking the ball down to Wallace (60), and despite claims from the QoS defence that he was offside, who went on to make it one-one on the hour.

One-one would be enough to see us through and even though it was tense at times we managed this, in no small part thanks to the defensive work shown by Vuckic, who isn’t as well known for this side of his game when the Newcastle loanee headed a curling Lyle’s effort off the line.

The first leg of the two-legged semi final against Hibernian will be played this week, this tie might have taken a lot from us but by this time next week we’ll know if we’re just a play-off win against Motherwell away from a Scottish Premiership return or if it’s another season of Championship football next time round….