Date: 3rd May 2015 at 3:51pm
Written by:

Rangers, as it happens, wouldn’t have been able to finish second in the Championship table regardless of our result at Hearts as Hibernian did what they had to do – win, meaning that our failure to see out a win didn’t really make much difference.

Although losing, late on, a two-goal lead meant that we go into the Premiership play-offs off the back of a two-two draw at Tynecastle when it should have been a win really with us looking very much on for this with less than 10-minutes to play of Saturday.

We had Bell to thank when he kept out Hearts’ Walker early on, after he had worked his way through our defence to leave himself one-on-one with our ‘keeper but he was up to the task in hand.

After Hearts had had a penalty appeal turned away, which also saw Sow booked McGregor (32) headed us into the lead, perhaps against the run of player when he finished Law’s freekick. Heart then appealed for another spot kick, with Sow again involved, but this again wasn’t given and with Hearts’ Head Coach Neilson so incensed he ended up being sent to the stand due to his protests.

Shortly after this we made it two just before half time through Miller (40). Foster’s ball in was turned home from close range.

Hearts’ Player of the Year Walker was denied again by Bell in the second as we looked good for the points, which would have been secured you feel had former Hearts defender Zaliukas, who was past fit to feature having been a doubt, done better with his header.

This wasn’t a win we could see out though with Hearts calling for Zeefuik from the bench and it was Zeefuik (82 & 90) who struck twice in the final eight-minutes to deny us a win in a two-two draw.

Failure to come second means we’ll have to come through a two-legged play-off off with Queen of the South, then it’ll be the same against Hibernian before finally the play-off decider, mostly likely to be against Motherwell to determine who goes up into the Premiership or who stays in the Championship.